March 23, 2022
Welcome everyone and pull up a seat at the table. It’s Lunchtime in Rome. Tonight is episode 149 entitled, Acceptance. What is the emotional need of Acceptance? How do we get it met? How are we hurt when we are not accepted? This is what we’re talking about tonight.
Pull up a chair at the table and join us!
- What is it?
- Receiving another person willingly and unconditionally, even when the other’s behavior has been imperfect. Loving another in spite of differences or failures
- Simply put it is being loved even though you have erred or not met another’s expectations
- What it is not
- Being ACCEPTED into a group or relationship in general
- This is the need of BELONGING/APPROVAL
- How is it met?
- Offering forgiveness
- Reassurance in difficult times
- Consistency in good and bad times
- How is it not met/how are we hurt by not receiving it?
- Unattainable expectations
- Outbursts instead of forgiveness
- Uneven patterns of behavior
- Stubbornness and inflexible positions on things
- When we do not receive acceptance, how are we hurt?
- Not knowing what to expect
- Anxiety of not meeting expectations
- The belief that it is one’s own fault for the displeasure of the other
- Over focusing on one’s own actions
- Self Condemnation
- The belief that one is not entitled to their own beliefs/thoughts
- Embracing their imperfections as evidence of lack of character/worth
- Being upset about one’s “performance”